3rd Monday of the month
7:00 to 9:00 pm
Report – August 2019
Helen Gordon, ONN Representative
Just a quick note about Out of the Box so far in 2019.
We successfully moved our meeting venue on short notice when we were “kicked out” of a very inexpensive locale. Our new venue, while more expensive, is much larger and brighter.
We had a successful workshop with Pat Hertzberg in May. Speakers at our regular meetings included Bethany Garner and Bridget O’Flaherty, as well as several of our own members. Some of our best meetings involve “themed” show and tell; Antiques, – show your oldest piece, or In Progress – show your current activity and so on.
Our Playdays continue to be well attended on hand embroidery, wet felting, and doll making.
We have been very busy with 2 major shows with the stipulation of “never shown before work only” which was a production challenge for everyone.
Our 8th annual Fibre Fling was in April. 39 members displayed 110 pieces of art. The sales table area had 24 members as vendors. Overall, we sold over $11,000. On top of this, the entrance fee and refreshment area netted another $3750 which was donated to the Stephen Lewis Foundation.
We also held a 2 week exhibition at the Mississippi Valley Textile Museum starting June 22. Over 50 members contributed around 190 pieces. It was extremely successful with visitors from far and wide and received rave reviews. Visit our web site archive pages for some pictures of the shows www.out-of-the-box.org
We will be holding our first members bazaar – free, swap, or sell – in July. The fall will see a couple of small shows at the Shenkman Art Gallery, and the Stittsville Library and well as a booth at Fibre Fest in Almonte. Interesting monthly meetings and new playdates await us.
Report – September 2018
- September 2018: Just a quick note from Out of the Box in Ottawa.We have a full slate of exhibitions scheduled, starting with our show at the Stittsville Library in December with the theme “My Favourite Quote”. Our Annual Fibre Fling will be held in April, and this year we have a special exhibition for 2 weeks in June at the Mississippi Textile Museum which will marry 2 challenges of “Connected by a Thread” and “Summer Fibrations”, a Colour Challenge.Guest speakers or meeting themes have been lined up, playdates are set, and workshops organized.
- Jan. 15, 2018: Nancy Garrard and Karen Samanski will give a talk about their trip and experience at the Knitting and Stitching show in London, England. Members’ show and tell their artwork.
- Feb.19, 2018: SAQA Trunk Show will stop in Ottawa, it’s our only chance to see the show before it is put on display in Nova Scotia. Fibre Fling 7 briefing by Chair, Debra Boyd-Chisholm. Members will show and tell their artwork.
- March 19 To be confirmed..
- April 16 Esther Bryan will talk about the history of the Quilt of Belonging.